Pages

Sunday, May 1, 2016

How Athleisure Killed The Stiletto


With sales of heels plummeting, it seems like sneakers, flats, and block heels are (blissfully) here to stay.
Summon to mind any scene in Sex and the City, and there is Sarah Jessica Parker as Carrie Bradshaw doing something (running, usually, on cobblestones, or in the rain, to or away from Big) in five-inch stilettos. Bradshaw would breathlessly utter things like, "With no man in sight, I decided to rescue my ankles from a life of boredom by purchasing too many pairs of Jimmy Choo shoes." The show elevated the vertiginous heels to It item status, making household names of Manolo Blahnik and Jimmy Choo, and inspiring countless women to follow in her arched footsteps.
IN 2016, CARRIE BRADSHAW WOULD BE WEARING SNEAKERS.
Today, though, Bradshaw's stilettos are becoming as outdated as Sex and the City lines like "I'm not even sure bisexuality exists. I think it's just a layover on the way to Gay Town." In 2016, Carrie Bradshaw would be wearing sneakers. According to data provided by research company NPD Group, sales of pumps have fallen over 12% in the past two years, as sales of fashion sneakers and block-heeled pumps have grown.
"I pretty much stopped wearing stilettos," said ELLE.com's Senior Fashion Editor Nikki Ogunnaike. "They're uncomfortable and they don't allow me to move the way I'd like to. They're kind of impractical." Ogunnaike now favors low, block-heeled pumps or sneakers on her marathon days of showroom appointments. "If I could wear sneakers every single day, I would," she said.

Article published on http://www.elle.com/ BY HAYLEY PHELAN

No comments:

Post a Comment